Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The Gambia: Batiks

On my recent trip to The Gambia, West Africa, we visited an area where they made Batik fabric.  I've always loved batiks from Africa and Bali, Indonesia, and I've purchased a lot over the years, but I had never seen the actual process.  We were in for a real treat since they gave us a chance to see some of these beautiful works being created.  After the presentation we had the opportunity to purchase some of the finished products.  The selection was overwhelming to say the least.  Were it not for the fact that I'd have to pay to get all of them back to the U.S., and that I surely would have blown my travel budget, I definitely would have loaded up.  I've never seen so many varied and beautiful batiks in one place before.  As a certified fabric fiend the best way I can describe it is, awesome.

Photo by Sharon A. Keyser-Jackson

Photo by Sharon A. Keyser-Jackson

Photo by Sharon A. Keyser-Jackson

Photo by Sharon A. Keyser-Jackson

Photo by Sharon A. Keyser-Jackson

Photo by Sharon A. Keyser-Jackson


Photo by Sharon A. Keyser-Jackson

2 comments:

  1. Nothing but pure gorgeousness! Owning any of these would be a dream. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being surrounded by so many beautiful fabrics was like being in a dream, Libby. It's good they're so far away or they would have all my money! LOL!

      Delete